Category D-Employment Activity

Research Assistant for the Intercultural Understanding Sub-Committee (IUSC)4 points

I served as a Research Assistant for the Intercultural Understanding Sub-Committee (IUSC) from December 20, 2022, to October 31, 2023, contributing to the Intercultural Narrative Project. This sub-committee operates under the Qelmúcw Affairs and Senate International Affairs Standing Senate Committees at Thompson Rivers University, focusing on reporting mission fulfillment with regard to the core theme of Intercultural Understanding. My primary role involved assisting in the investigation of narratives detailing engagement in and the impact of intercultural learning, specifically under indicator 2.2.

I received mentorship and training from intercultural scholars and faculty members from diverse departments on mixed methods research, data coding by using Nvivo software and thematic framework about intercultural competency, expanding my knowledge and intercultural awareness through various perspectives. As a co-investigator, I assisted in the Research Ethics Board application process, participated in data collection, and contributed to data coding and analysis. I worked with a research team which is characterized by cultural diversity and includes individuals with varied professional and disciplinary backgrounds, which enriches the analysis by examining data through multiple lenses. Throughout this process, my ability to collaborate with individuals from diverse backgrounds and navigate different perspectives on data coding and analysis proved essential.