Category B-Related Course

EDUC 5040 Diversity: Constructing Social Realities-1 point

This course has provided me with opportunities to critically examine the social construction of realities based on factors such as class, gender, race, and sexuality. Through this exploration, I have gained insights into the prevalent social justice tensions in the world. I delved into how my own worldviews and identities influence and shape my understanding of social justice issues, including cultural sensitivity, power dynamics, voice, invisibility, representation, and privilege.

My positionality paper has deepened my comprehension of intersecting identities and their profound impact on personal, work, and educational aspects of life. Intersectionality highlights that social identities operate on multiple levels, resulting in unique experiences, opportunities, and barriers for each individual. The panel discussions have broadened my awareness of historical, social, and multicultural influences on various aspects such as gender, skin color/race, body size, and citizenship.

This course underscores the importance of diversity and inclusion in promoting cultural understanding and empathy towards different customs and traditions. I am curious about differences and committed to taking and accepting diverse perspectives to effectively communicate with people and develop and sustain relationships. For me, embracing diversity not only fosters innovative thinking but also breaks down barriers, leading to groundbreaking solutions to challenges.